Allam Pachadi is great accompaniment for all types of dosas and idli. It goes especially well with Pesarattu. In this pachadi, the spicy taste of the ginger blends very well with the sweetness of the jaggery!
- Ginger – 50 Gms
- Jaggery – 50 Gms
- Udad Dal – 3 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 3 or 4
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to Taste
How to Make Allam Pachadi
- In a kadai/wok, heat 2 tsp of oil.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add the red chillies and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Let cool.
- Wash, peel and roughly chop the ginger.
- Roughly chop jaggery.
- Grind together ginger, fried dal, red chillies and jaggery with some water to form a thick and slightly coarse paste.
- Remove the pachadi in a bowl.
- In a ladle, heat 1 tsp of oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the mustard seeds to the pachadi and mix well.
- Serve Allam Pachadi with Pesarattu, with idli or dosa.
- You can store this pachadi by refrigerating it in a closed container.
- You could add about 1 tsp of tamarind pulp while grind this pachadi while grinding it.