Vinayaka Chaviti/Ganesh Chaturthi is just around the corner. It is one of my favourite festivals and I plan the menu days in advance so that I can source all the ingredients in time.
For every Andhra home, one must-have naivedyam on Vinayaka Chaviti is Undrallu. It is said to be Vinayaka’s favourite. It is also a great favourite of my dad’s.
- Rice – 2 Cups
- Chana Dal/Senaga Pappu/Bengal Gram – 1/2 Cup
- Salt to Taste
- Sesame Oil – 1 tsp
- Soak the chana dal for about 30 minutes.
- Grind the rice into a coarse powder.
- Drain the water from the soaked dal and add to the rice flour.
- Add salt.
- Mix well.
- Add 4 Cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- If there is still water in the dough, cook over an open flame till the water evaporates.
- Let the dough cool till it is just warm.
- Mix well.
- Grease your palms with a little oil.
- Take about a tablespoon of the dough and roll it into a ball.
- Place all the undrallu in a bowl and cover with a lid.
- Steam in a pressure cooker for about 10 mins.
- Offer to Vinayaka as naivedyam.
- Serve warm with kobbari pachadi or dosakaya pachadi.
- Do not soak the chana dal for too long or it will disintegrate.
- Do not grind to rice too fine, otherwise you will have a sticky mess on your hands and the undrallu will be rock hard.