Both Dad and I bought anapakaya (bottle gourd/lauki) this week and I was wondering what to do with so much anapakaya when I realised I had not made Anapakaya-Pesara Pappu Koora in ages. It is very easy to make and is a great accompaniment to both rice and roti.
- Anapakaya/Lauki/Bottle Gourd – 2 Cups cubed
- Pesara Pappu/Moong Dal/Green Gram – 1/2 Cup
- Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Grated Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – One Large Pinch
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Mix anapakaya pieces and pesara pappu together.
- Add enough water to cover the anapakya-pesara pappu mix.
- Pressure cook for about 3 whistles or till the pesara pappu is of mashable consistency.
- Mix the anapakaya-pesara pappu mix gently but well so that the dal is mashed.
- Add salt and turmeric. Mix well.
- Heat the ghee.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and slit green chillies. Fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the grated ginger and curry leaves. Fry for 5-10 seconds.
- Add to the anapakaya-pesara pappu mix. Mix well.
- Serve hot with rice and ghee, or with rotis.
- I add the green chillies to the anapakaya-pesara pappu mix before pressure cooking. This makes the curry spicy. 🙂
- You can soak the pesara pappu for about 30 mins, if required. I find that this is not necessary as the dal cooks well in the pressure cooker.