With summer in the offing, one is always looking for thanda-thanda-cool-cool stuff. I cannot think of anything better than Menthi Majjiga!
Easy to make, there is nothing more satisfying than Menthi Majjiga Annam on a hot summer afternoon. It needs no accompaniments.
- Curd/Dahi – 1 Cup
- Water – 1 Cup
- Rai/Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Udad Dal/Split Bengal Gram – 1 tsp
- Methi Dana/Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Ajwain – ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 4 to 5
- Red Chillies – 2 or 3
- Salt – To taste
- Haldi/Turmeric – A pinch (optional)
- Oil (for tadka) – 1 tsp
- Beat the curd well to a smooth consistency.
- Add water and beat well to make majjiga/buttermilk.
- Add curry leaves, turmeric, and salt to the chaas.
- Heat the oil and add mustard seeds to it.
- When the mustard seeds sputter, add Udad dal and Chana dal.
- Fry till light brown.
- Lower the flame.
- Add fenugreek seeds and fry till the fenugreek seeds start changing colour.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add split red chillies, ajwain and hing to the tadka.
- Mix well.
- Add to the majjiga
- Mix well.
- Eat with plain rice or just drink it.
The big fight in my home is for the udad dal that settles at the bottom.