I love Sweet Potato in Jaggery Syrup. It is a simple, yet wholesome dessert that makes great use of the sweet potato.
In parts of Maharashtra and Gujarat, this dish is classified as Vrat ka Khana or a dish eaten on fasting days.
How to Make Sweet Potato in Jaggery Syrup
- Sweet Potato – 2 Medium Sized
- Grated Jaggery – 1/3 to 1/2 Cup
- Cardamom – 2
- Water – 1 Cup
- Boil 1 cup water.
- Scrub and clean the sweet potato thoroughly.
- Cut into 3/4″ discs.
- Add the sweet potato discs to the boiling water.
- Cook covered till the sweet boiled is “al dente.”
- Add the sugar/jaggery and crushed cardamom.
- Cook over low heat till the sweet potato is cooked and just starts to turn transparent.
- Serve the Sweet Potato in Jaggery Syrup warm.
- I do not peel the sweet potato, but you could.
- Though you can make this dish with sugar, it tastes best with jaggery syrup.