This koora podi is new to me. I first tasted it recently when I went to visit my niece, Sushma, in Pune. She had made an awesome Chikkudikaya Koora and Bendakaya Koora using this koora podi. She had got this koora podi from the cook when she went for her brother’s wedding.
Since the koora podi tasted great, I did my usual reverse engineering to get to a near approximation!
- Senaga Pappu/Chana Dal/Bengal Gram – 1/2 Cup
- Minapappu/Udad Dal/Black Gram – 1/2 Cup
- Dhaniyalu/Dhaniya/Coriander Seeds – 1/4 Cup
- Jeelakarra/Jeera/Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Red Chillies – 8 to 10
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Heat the oil in a kadai/wok.
- Add the senaga pappu and minapappu.
- Over low to medium heat, roast till they are golden brown.
- Add dhaniyalu, jeelakarra, and split red chillies.
- Roast for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Let the mix cool to room temperature.
- Using a mixer-grinder, grind the mix to a fine powder.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Use to add spice to various kooras.
- Menthi Podi (aahaaramonline.com)