Every region Tomato Pappu is very easy to make and goes very well with hot rice and ghee. I often make it with Cabbage Curry as a side dish.
- Kandi Pappu/Tuvar Dal/Pigeon Pea – 1 Cup
- Tomatos – 2 (Medium)
- Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Chaaru Podi – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – A Large Pinch
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Dry roast the dal till it turns light brown.
- Add 2 cups of water to the dal and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dal for three whistles or till it is mashable.
- Chop the tomato into 1/2″ pieces.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, heat the ghee.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add the tomato pieces and fry till the tomato pieces are soft.
- When the tomato pieces are soft, add slit green chillies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, and chaaru podi.
- Fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the mashed dal and mix well.
- Add some water, if required.
- Bring to a boil.
- Serve with hot rice and ghee.