Kanda Gadda (Elephant Yam in English, Senaikizhangu in Tamil, Suran in Hindi) is a particular favourite in our home. While we cook it most often as Kanda Koora or Kanda Bachali Koora, my personal favourite is Kanda Vepudu or Crisp Yam Fry.
- Kanda Gadda, Suran, or Elephant Yam – 250 gms
- Chilli Powder – 3/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Peel the yam.
- Chop the yam into 1/4″ pieces.
- In a wok or kadhai, heat the oil.
- Add the yam pieces.
- Fry for about 15 minutes till the pieces are crisp, brown at the edges, and well-cooked.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the salt and chilli powder.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot with rice and sesame oil or sambar rice.
- Yam Fries – The ‘New’ Classic (hubamethod.com)
- Yam Burger (strawberrylentils.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Yam Pottage (funtaqa.wordpress.com)