Kothimeera Verusenaga Pachadi (Coriander and Peanut Chutney) is a versatile chutney that can used as an accompaniment to idli and dosa or then to spice up a sandwich (yes, yes, Indian sandwiches are laced with chutnies.:-)).
I like the chutney better than the plain Kothimeera Pachadi because it is far creamier because of the peanuts in it.
When I make this chutney for Sandwiches, it has no tempering. The tempering is added only when it is used as an accompaniment to idlis or dosas)
Yield: 3/4 Cup
Time: 10 Mins
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 Packed Cup
- Peanuts – 1/4 Cup
- Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Red Chilli – 1
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Udad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Dry roast the peanuts till they start to change colour.
- Let them cool.
- Rub the peanuts between palms of your hands to remove the peel. I do not remove the peel.
- Grind together coriander, peanuts, chillies, sugar, and salt with a little water to a smooth paste.
- For tempering:
- Heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add udad dal and fry till it is golden brown.
- Add the split red chilli and stir-fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the tempering to the chutney.