Aratikaya Vepudu (Kela Fry or Raw Banana Fry) is one of my favourite curries. When properly done, the pieces are crisp on the outside while being soft inside. It is very simple to make and can be eaten with plain rice or then as a side dish to sambar rice or then any pappu-annam.
- Aratikaya/Kacha Kela/Raw Bananas – 4
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Peel and cube the raw bananas into 1/2″ cubes.
- In a heavy-bottomed kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add the cut banana pieces.
- Over medium heat, fry till the bananas pieces turn golden brown.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the salt and chilli powder.
- Mix well.
- Serve immediately with rice.
- Use the short, triangular bananas (vazhakka/vazhakkai). These are different from the long green bananas.
- The bananas must be raw and firm.
- Cook over medium heat and stir constantly. Patience is the key to a good, crisp fry.
- Do not cover while cooking as the condensation will make the pieces soft.
- Serve immediately after cooking. Reheated aratikaya vepudu is just not the same as the fresh one.
- Kacche Kele ke Cutlets (Raw Bananas Cutlets) (femmehavenn.wordpress.com)
- Aratikaya Pindimiriyam (teluguveggie.wordpress.com)
- Kanda Vepudu (Elephant Yam Fry or Senaikizhangu Fry) (aahaaramonline.com)