I love the tangy taste of Chukka Koora or Ambat Chukka. This is a green leafy vegetable that is mildly sour in taste and is found very commonly in Mumbai. It is also used in the popular Sindhi Sai Bhaji.
In our home, we make both a dal (Chukka Koora Pappu) and a kadhi (Chukka Koora Majjiga Pulusu) with it, and cannot make up my mind on which I like better. 🙂
Yesterday, I made Chukka Koora Pappu and so here is the recipe. 🙂
Time: 30 Minutes
- Chukka Koora/Khatta Bhaji/Ambat Chukka/Green Sorrel – 1 packed cup of leaves
- Moong Dal – 3/4 Cup
- Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp (Vegans can use oil)
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – A Couple of Pinches
- Salt to Taste
- Finely chop chukka koora.
- Pressure cook slit green chillies, moong dal, and chukka koora with 2 Cups of water till done.
- When the dal is cooked, mash it with a heavy ladle or mix well with a heavy spoon.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, heat the ghee.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they sputter.
- Add the dal, salt, and turmeric.
- Mix well.
- Add a little water if the dal is too thick.
- Bring to a boil and take off the heat.
- Serve with hot rice and ghee.
- Menthi Koora Pappu (Methi Dal/Lentils with Fresh Fenugreek) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Gongura Pappu (Dal with Gongura/Ambada/Sorrel) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Mammidikaya Pappu (Dal with Raw Mango) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Chukkakoora Pappu (veggieplatter.blogspot.in)