Upma is a light and filling breakfast or tiffin (afternoon snack) item that is very popular in South India. I have already written about Tomato Upma and Onion Upma. Today I am writing about Vegetable Upma.
Here is the recipe for this simple, healthy, tasty, and filling breakfast.
How to Make Vegetable Upma
Time: 20 Minutes
- Rava, Semolina, or Cream of Wheat – 1 Cup
- Onion – 1 small
- Potato- 1 small
- Carrot – 1 small
- Peas – 1/2 cup
- Udad Dal or Husked Black Gram – 1 tsp
- Rai or Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies – 3
- Grated Ginger – 1 tsp
- Water – 2.5 Cups
- Curry Leaves – 6 to 8
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp (Optional)
- Salt to Taste
- Over medium heat, dry roast the rava till it just starts to change colour. Stir continuously.
- Set aside the roasted rava.
- Peel and chop the onion into 1/4″ pieces.
- Peel and chop the potato into 1/4″ pieces.
- Peel and chop the carrot into 1/4″ pieces.
- In a kadai or a wok, heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till the dal turns light brown in colour.
- Add the potato and carrot pieces.
- Stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the onion pieces and stir-fry till the onion just starts to turn transparent.
- Slit the green chillies.
- Add the green chillies, grated ginger, and curry leaves.
- Stir fry for a minute.
- Add 2.25 cups of water and salt.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Add the roasted rava while stirring continuously to ensure that no lumps are formed.
- Mix well.
- Increase the heat to medium.
- Cover the kadai and let the Vegetable Upma cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and mix well.
- Cook for a few minutes more till all the water is absorbed and the rava is cooked.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the ghee and mix well.
- Serve the Vegetable hot with Coconut Chutney, Magai Perugu Pachadi, Molaga Podi or Nimmakaya.
- Do not fry the onions till they are brown. The Upma will have a faintly bitter aftertaste if you do.
- Just add enough salt to the water such that the water starts to taste slightly salty.
- Resist the temptation to add more water. The Vegetable Upma will cook in the water we have added.