Atukulu, Aval or Poha as well as milk plays a very important role in celebrating Lord Krishna’s birthday. Atukula Paramannam (aka Aval Payasam or Poha Kheer) is a dessert that combines both and is made for Gokulashtami or Sri Krishna Janmashtami. 🙂
You can make this delicious dessert quickly and easily with ingredients that are commonly found in most Indian kitchens.
I have many more Gokulashtami, Krishnashtami Or Sri Krishna Jayanti Naivedyam Recipes for you to try!
Time: 45 Minutes
- Thick Poha – 2/3 Cup
- Milk – 2 Cups
- Sugar – 2/3 to 1 Cup
- Cashews – 6 to 8
- Kishmish or Raisins – 10 to 12
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Green Cardamom – 3
Method to Make Atukula Paramannam, Aval Payasam or Poha Kheer
- The Preparations
- Peel the green cardamom and powder it. Set aside.
- Split the cashew into smaller pieces.
- Frying the Dry Fruits
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, over medium heat, heat the ghee.
- Add split cashews and stir-fry till they are light brown.
- Add the raisins and stir-fry for 5 to 7 seconds.
- Remove the fried cashews and raisins and set aside.
- Frying the Atukulu, Aval or Poha
- To the remaining ghee, add the atukulu or poha.
- Over low heat, stir-fry the atukulu or poha till they just start to change colour to light brown.
- Remove the poha and set aside.
- Making the Atukula Paramannam, Aval Payasam or Poha Kheer
- Boil the milk till it reduces a bit.
- Add the sugar and simmer till the sugar boils.
- Add the fried poha/aval/atukulu and mix well.
- Boil the kheer till the poha/aval/atukulu softens.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the cardamom powder as well as fried cashews and raisins.
- Mix well.
- Offer as naivedyam and serve as prasadam.
- Be careful when you are frying the poha as it tends to burn rather quickly.
- Ensure that the heat is low to medium.
- Be sure to stir-fry the poha or atukulu.
- Stir-frying the aval, atukulu, or poha ensures that it retains its shape even after you add it to milk. If you do not stir-fry it, there is a risk that the poha turns to mush in the boiling milk.
- You could also use condensed milk. If you do reduce the milk to 1.5 cups, do not use sugar, and add about 3/4 cup of sweetened condensed milk.