Green Chilli Pickle (known as Hari Mirch ka Achar in Hindi and Hirvi Mirchi Che Lonche in Marathi) is one of those pickles that are very easy to make and oh-so-spicy!!! The tangy taste of the lemon, the spiciness of the green chilli, and bitter heat of the mustard combine to give this pickle a very unique flavour.
I always have a batch of this pickle at home. There is nothing better than this pickle with cool curd rice or Daddojanam, or then with some Varan Bhat (Maharashtrian Dal Rice). You could also add a spoonful of Hari Mirch ka Achar or Hirvi Mirchi Che Lonche to 1 cup of fresh curd. This is a great side dish for rotis or Thalipeeth!
How to Make Green Chilli Pickle – Hari Mirch ka Achar – Hirvi Mirchi Che Lonche
- Green Chillies – 250 Gms
- Lemon Juice – 2/3 Cup
- Mustard Powder – 1/4 Cup
- Oil – 1/4 Cup
- Turmeric – 1 Tsp
- Salt – 3 tbsp
- Chop the green chillies into small discs.
- Heat the oil to smoking point and let it cool completely.
- Mix the green chillies, mustard powder, salt, and turmeric powder together.
- Add lemon juice to the green chilli-spice mix.
- Mix well.
- Add the oil and mix well.
- Store the Green Chilli Pickle in a clean, dry, air-tight glass bottle.
- Wait for a week before you savour this wonderful Hari Mirch ka Achar or Hirvi Mirchi Che Lonche with dal rice or dahi rice.
- Select your chillies with care. They must be fresh, firm, and green.
- Use thin, dark green chillies if you like it hot! 🙂 Use the light green chillies, if you do not prefer it too hot.