This recipe for Beetroot Tikki (Beetroot Cutlet) is yet another easy to make gem from Mrs. Heena Jhanglani. She had earlier given me the recipe for Singhare ke Atte ka Halwa as a vrat ka khana recipe for Navratri 2015. Well, truth be told I savour a lot of yummy dishes made by Heena-ji as her daughter and I work together. It is I who is remiss in now making all those dishes and featuring them on the blog.
On the blog is also the recipe for a Sindhi specialty called Aani Basar contributed by Nikita. Actually I could spend a quarter or two just on recipes from the Jhanglani kitchen. 🙂
Coming back to the Beetroot Tikki, Nikita got this for lunch along with a super yummy Pomegranate Chutney. Virtually everyone at work pestered her for the recipe till she asked her mom and sent it to us on WhatsApp. 😀
I have used the basic recipe given by Heena-ji but modified it a bit by substituting Chaat Masala for Garam Masala. I also served it with Dahiwali Pudina Chutney and enjoyed the contrast between the slightly sweet and tangy Beetroot Cutlet and the fresh, spicy chutney!
How to Make Beetroot Tikki | Beetroot Cutlet
- 2 Cups Grated Beetroot
- 1/2 Cup Boiled and Mashed Potato
- 1 tbsp Ghee + More for pan-frying (Vegans please use oil)
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Shahjeera
- Salt to Taste
- Grind the green chillies and ginger to a smooth paste.
- In a kadhai, heat 1 tbsp ghee.
- Add the shahjeera and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the chilli-ginger paste and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the grated beetroot, roasted cumin powder, and some salt.
- Saute till dry.
- Take off the heat and let it cool a bit.
- Add Chaat Masala and mashed potato.
- Mix well.
- Add a bit more salt, if required.
- Divide into 8 portions.
- Roll each portion into a ball.
- Flatten a bit to form a 1" thick cutlet or tikki.
- Over a medium flame, heat a griddle or tava.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Add a few Beetroot Tikkis at a time.
- Cook till the side touching the pan is crisp.
- Flip the Beetroot Cutlets.
- Once again, pan fry till the side touching the pan is crisp.
- Serve warm with Dahiwali Pudina Chutney.
If your beetroot tikkis don't hold shape, mash one bread slice, add it to the dough, and mix well.
Stir-fry the beetroot on medium heat, otherwise it will lose the colour.