Ciccolata Calda or Italian Hot Chocolate is my absolutest favouritest version of hot chocolate and boy, was I over the moon when I discovered it.
A few years ago, I visited Italy with a friend in late October. While winter had not set in completely (or so we were told), it was quite chilly. Even 10°C seemed quite cold considering we flew in from a country that was more than warm and toasty at 30°C.
While I loved the pastas, pizzas, risottos, paninis, gnocchis, and gelatos (yes, yes, we complained about the cold and had gelatos by the ton), I fell in love with Ciccolata Calda. If you look carefully, you will find hot chocolate everywhere in Italy; at breakfast buffets, in corner shops, in coffee shops, on food carts, absolutely everywhere!
Why do I love Ciccolata Calda so much? Well, it is very different from any hot chocolate I ever had. It is thick (you could almost eat it with a spoon), not too sweet, chocolatey, warm, and absolutely yummmmm. If there is one drink that can warm the cockles of your heart, it is this, it is this!
Because it was cold and rainy by the time we got to Venice, I was drinking the Italian Hot Chocolate by the gallon, if it is possible! And because it is so thick, it becomes thicker and almost solidifies as it cools. I was quite in the danger of having a chocolate mouche! 😀
I thought this was the perfect post to kick-off the New Year! Happy New Year!
- Milk – 1.5 Cups
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Dark Chocolate (>70% Cocoa Solids) – 100 gms
- Corn Starch – 2 tsp
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/2 cup milk.
- Set aside.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces.
- To a saucepan, add 1 cup milk and all the chocolate.
- Over a low flame, heat the saucepan.
- Stir constantly till all the chocolate melts.
- Add the sugar and stir till the sugar melts.
- Add the milk + corn starch mix.
- Over medium flame, heat the chocolate till it thickens.
- Pour into cups.
- Garnish with whipped cream, if required.
- Cioccolata calda. In Alberobello. (frozencalgarians.wordpress.com)
- Italian Hot Chocolate (theateam13.wordpress.com)
- Chocolatto Rediscover the True Hot Chocolate New Hot Toddy Recipe (newscanada-plus.com)
- ch ch ch chocolate (chisforchocolate.wordpress.com)