String Beans (aka Guar or Gavar) are very popular in my home. However, spicing them up can be quite a challenge. I learnt this recipe from Asha, my cook on weekdays.
I quite liked the textures and flavours she added through two everyday ingredients; peanuts and garlic. Since we first tasted this bhaji, it has become a staple at our home.
Time: 60 Minutes
- String Beans, Goru Chikkudikaya, Guar or Gavar – 250 gms
- Peanuts – 1/3 cup
- Red Chillies – 3
- Garlic Pods – 4
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Udad Dal or Husked Black Gram – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Break the ends of the string beans.
- Cut the beans into 1/2″ pieces.
- Boil about 4 cups of water with 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Add the cut string beans and cook covered till the beans turn tender.
- Drain the water completely.
- Dry roast the peanuts and red chillies till the peanuts start to change colour.
- Let the peanuts cool and grind into a coarse powder.
- Peel and crush the garlic pods.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add the crushed garlic pods.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add the peanut powder and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and salt.
- Mix well.
- Serve warm with rotis or rice.