This is a variation of the Menthi Podi Vesina Dondakaya Koora. This version of the Dondakaya koora is spicier and satisfies the craving for hot and spicy food.
- Dondakaya/Ivy Gourd/Tondli – 1/2 Kg
- Koora Podi – 3 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 6 to 8
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp + To Taste
- Wash the ivy gourd and wipe clean with a soft cloth.
- Chop off the ends and slice in half vertically.
- Quarter along the length so that you have “half moon” shaped pieces.
- Bring about a litre of water to boil.
- Turn the heat to low, and add the dondakaya pieces along with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric.
- Cook covered over medium for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave the pieces in for 10 minutes so that they are parboiled.
- Use a colander to drain the water from the dondakaya pieces, and set aside for 10 minutes till all water is drained.
- In a heavy-bottomed kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the dondakaya pieces and mix well.
- Over medium heat, fry for about 10 minutes or till the pieces just start turning brown.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the koora podi and salt, and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
- You know the dondakaya pieces are parboiled when they start to sink to the bottom of the vessel.
- Be careful about the amount of salt you add at the end because there is salt in the water used to parboil the dondakaya pieces.
- Menthi Podi Veysina Dondakaya Koora (Ivy Gourd with Fenugreek Powder) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Menthi Podi (aahaaramonline.com)
- Koora Podi (aahaaramonline.com)