Here is one more variant. There is something about tender and crisp stir fry with curd rice that cannot be described in words, so I shall not even attempt it. 🙂
- Dondakaya, Tendli, or Ivy Gourd – 1/2 kg
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Wash and dry the dondakaya.
- Cut and discard the two ends of the dondakaya.
- Cut each dondakaya into 1/8ths vertically.
- In a wok, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the dondakaya pieces and mix well.
- Over medium heat, stir fry till the pieces are well cooked.
- Add salt and chilli powder.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
- To cook the dondakaya faster, cover the wok between stirrings.
- Do not add salt before the pieces are fried, else the dondakaya pieces tend to get soft.
- You could add onion to this stir fry. To use onion, cut the onion in half and then slice vertically. Add the onion pieces to after the dondakaya pieces have been frying for a few minutes.
- Menthi Podi Veysina Dondakaya Koora (Ivy Gourd with Fenugreek Powder) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Dondakaya Koora with Koora Podi (aahaaramonline.com)
- Tondli Bhaat (Dondakaya Annam/Rice with Ivy Gourd) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Aratikaya Vepudu (Banana/Plaintain Fry) (aahaaramonline.com)