This is oh-so-easy-to-make Cabbage Kobbari Kura (known as Cabbage Poriyal in Tamil Nadu and Cabbage Thoran in Kerala) is comfort food in our home. When perfectly done, the cabbage is crisp yet perfectly cooked. It is also very low on calories and so makes for a filling dish during diets. It is also vegan, so what more can you ask for. 🙂
Also try my recipes for:
How to Make Cabbage Thoran | Cabbage Poriyal | Kobbari Cabbage Kura
- Cabbage/Gobi – 1/2 Kg
- Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Udad Dal/Husked Black Gram – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies – 2 or 3
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Finely chop the cabbage.
- In a kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add slit green chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry for 3-5 seconds.
- Add the cabbage.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 a cup of water.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook over medium heat till the cabbage is cooked.
- Stir at regular intervals and sprinkle more water, if required.
- When the cabbage is cooked, add the salt and mix well.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Serve Cabbage Thoran / Cabbage Poriyal / Cabbage Kobbari Kura with rice or chapatis.
- The cabbage is cooked when it gets a translucent look.
- Sprinkle more water if you feel the need.
- Do not add too much water as then you will have a mushy koora. 🙁