Today, I present Hotel Style Coconut Chutney (called Kobbari Putnala Pappu Pachadi in Telugu). It is THE best kind of chutney, especially for Medu Vada | Garelu.
In most households, the traditional coconut chutney rules the roost. However, it is cholesterol-laden and goes rancid very soon. Hotels cannot afford to keep making the chutney afresh ever-so-often, so they add roasted bengal gram (Putnala Pappu, Gulla Senaga Pappu or Bhuna Chana) to the chutney in equal proportion to the coconut. Not only does this keep the chutney fresh for a longer time, it also reduces the cholesterol and calories in it, not to mention the cost.
At South India eating places where I am a regular, they don’t even bother with the sambhar. They plonk two “vatis/katoris” (as small cups are called in Mumbai) of chutney along with whatever I have ordered.
I first fell in love with this chutney at Mani’s Lunch Home in Dadar, where they serve it in generous amounts along with upma, idli, or vada.
How to Make Kobbari Putnala Pappu Pachadi | Hotel Style Coconut Chutney
- Grated Fresh Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Roasted Bengal Gram, Gulla Senaga Pappu, Putnala Pappu, Bhuna Chana – 1/3 Cup
- Green Chillies – 2 or 3
- Ginger – 1/2″ piece
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Udad Dal – 1 tsp
- Red Chillies – 1 or 2
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Salt to Taste
Method to Make Kobbari Putnala Pappu Pachadi | Hotel Style Coconut Chutney
- Grind the coconut, roasted bengal gram, ginger, and green chillies to a smooth paste with a little water.
- Take the pachadi out in a bowl.
- Add salt and mix well.
- In a ladle, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till it turns light brown.
- Add the split red chillies and fry for 5-7 seconds.
- Add the curry leaves and fry for 2-3 seconds.
- Add this tempering to the pachadi.
- Mix well.
- Serve the Kobbari Putnala Pappu Pachadi | Hotel Style Coconut Chutney as an accompaniment to idli, sada dosa, vada, or upma.
- I normally chop the coconut into pieces and it works just as well as grating the coconut. You just have to grind for a bit longer.
- I add about 2 tbsp of cold dahi to the final chutney. It makes it yummmm.
- You can store Kobbari Putnala Pappu Pachadi | Hotel Style Coconut Chutney for about 2-3 days in the fridge. Just leave it out for about 30 mins before eating and stir in some water just before serving.