There is something about simple Pal Payasam that can gladden the glummest of hearts. The key to good pal payasam is patience, patience, and more patience. 🙂 And of course, full-fat milk.
The recipe is very simple, it is the patience that matters. It takes the milk more than hour to reduce.
How to Make Pal Payasam | South Indian Style Kheer
- Full-fat Milk – 2 litre
- Rice – 3 tbsp
- Cardamom Pods – 6 to 8
- Sugar – 2/3 Cup
- In a heavy-bottomed vessel, bring the milk to a boil.
- Wash and add rice to the boiling milk.
- Over medium heat, boil the milk and rice together while stirring constantly till:
- the rice is cooked
- the milk is reduced to 1/2 its original quantity and has a pinkish tinge.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Crush and add cardamom seeds.
- Mix well.
- Serve Pal Payasam warm or cold.
- Use a really heavy vessel otherwise the milk will burn.
- Do not add the sugar while the milk is reducing. If you do, the sugar will cause the mixture to burn.
- Do not add any water.
- Do not add more rice.
- You could add some saffron soaked in milk at the very end.
- You could add some cashews fried in ghee along with the cardamom seeds.
- Use full-fat milk as much as possible.