Even though monsoons have set in (sorta), there are still lovely juicy mangoes available in Mumbai. This weekend my dad got about a dozen and since they were ripening quickly I was looking to use them quickly. Of course, there were the usual lineup of recipes; Mambazha Pulissery or Mambazha Mor Kuzhambu, Mango Lassi, or Mango Milkshake. Then as I was soaking rice for Neer Dosa I remembered Mavina Hannina Rasayana or Mango Rasayana.
Mavina Hannina Rasayana is the Udupi version of Aam Ras and is made by blending together sweet mangoes with coconut milk and jaggery. It is a simply awesome accompaniment to Neer Dosa and Puris. In my version I did not use too much jaggery as my mangoes were sweet enough. This also meant that the texture and colour of my Mavina Hannina Rasayana was also paler but I was OK with that.
How to Make Mavina Hannina Rasayana (Mango Rasayana)
Makes: 3 Cups
Time: 10-15 Minutes
- Pulp of Ripe Mangoes – 2 Cups
- Fresh Coconut Milk – 1 Cup
- Grated Jaggery/Sugar – 1/2 Cup (I used about 1 tbsp)
- Cardamom – 2
- Peel and powder the cardamom.
- Add the cardamom powder and the sugar/jaggery to the mango pulp.
- Mix well and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh coconut milk and mix well.
- Enjoy with Mavina Hannina Rasayana or Mango Rasayana with Neer Dosa, Chapati or Puri.
- Instead of mango pulp, you could also cut 2 mangoes into fine pieces and just mix them into the coconut milk. 🙂