This past week, I have been in a wicked mood as far as mood was concerned. On Saturday, I made Veg Manchow Soup and Veg Hakka Noodles. Then I went to a cousin’s home and was treated by my sister-in-law and aunt, who were visiting; they pampered me with a lovely homecooked meal. Then I came home and made Tawa Paneer. My excuse for making Tawa Paneer is that I had fresh Paneer and also quite a few bell peppers at home. Also, I was working from home so I had some time on hand. 🙂
I made the Tava Paneer by adapting Tarla Dalal’s recipe for Paneer Tawa Masala.
Now that I have made this wonderful dish, it is going to be a regular feature on the menu in my home. I loved the combination of flavours and spices that have been used. I also took it with me to work and my team members quite enjoyed it!
If possible, make Tawa Paneer on an iron tava or griddle. Believe you me the taste is different from what is made on a non-stick. 🙂
How to Make Tawa Paneer | Tava Paneer
Tawa Paneer | Tava Paneer
Tawa Paneer literally means Paneer or Cottage Cheese cooked on a iron griddle is a very simple dish that has many spices that lend it a unique flavour.
- 400 Gms Paneer or Cottage Cheese
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Small Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Small Capsicum
- 1 Medium-sized Onion
- 2 Medium-sized Tomatoes
- 2 or 3 Green Chillies
- 4 to 6 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Yogurt or Dahi
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Caraway Seeds or Shahi Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Carom Seeds or Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds or Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Kasuri Methi
- Salt to Taste
- Peel and cut the onion into 1/4″ pieces.
- Cut, deseed and chop the red, yellow and green bell pepper into 1/2″ pieces.
- Cut the paneer into 1/2″ cubes.
- Chop the tomato and puree into a fine paste.
- Cut the green chillies into fine pieces.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
Method to Make the Tawa Paneer
- Mix the cream/yogurt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and chaat masala.
- Set aside.
- Over medium flame, heat an iron tava or non-stick pan.
- Add 1 tbsp oil.
- Add the paneer pieces and saute till light brown.
- Remove the fried paneer pieces and add to the spiced yogurt.
- To the same tava, add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add jeera, ajwain and shahjeera.
- Stir-fry for 20-30 seconds.
- Add the crushed garlic and stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the onion pieces and stir-fry till transparent.
- Add the red, yellow and green bell pepper pieces.
- Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder and kasuri methi.
- Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Turn the flame down to low.
- Add the tomato puree and stir-fry till the water dries up.
- Add the paneer along with the yogurt marinade.
- On a low flame, stir-fry till