Thalipeeth is a traditional Maharashtrian multigrain pancake. There are very many variations of the Thalipeeth Bhajani or Thalipeeth Flour. It is essentially a mix of rice flour with other flours such as jowar, bajra, udad dal, wheat, ragi, etc. Every family has its own version with different proportions and constituents. Here is a recipe that I have used and like very much http://ruchkarjevan.blogspot.in/2010/07/thalipeethachi-bhajani.html.
You also get ready-made bhajani very easily in Mumbai. Some popular brands include Bedekar or my personal favourite Bhagirathi Products.
Given the multiple grains it uses, Thalipeeth is very healthy and nutritious. The fact that it is absolutely yummy is a great bonus and proves the point that healthy can be delicious. You can have it for breakfast or then lunch or dinner.
How to Make Thalipeeth
- 3 Cups Thalipeeth Bhajani
- 2 Medium Sized Onions
- 4 to 6 Green Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powde
- 1 Handful Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Oil for cooking the Thalipeeth
- Salt to Taste
- Peel and chop the onions to fine pieces.
- Chop the green chillies to fine pieces.
- Mix the thalipeeth bhajani, onions, green chillies, salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, and coriander leaves.
- Add enough water and kenad into a moist but firm dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a ball.
- Grease a sheet of foil with a few drops of oil.
- Place a ball of dough on the foil.
- With a moist hand, firmly press down on the dough and spread it out evenly into a thick pancake.
- Make 4 or 5 evenly spaced cuts or holes on the surface of the pancake.
- Heat a tava/griddle.
- Add 1/2 tsp of oil and spread evenly.
- Place the Thalipeeth on the hot tava.
- Drizzle a little oil along the edges of the Thalipeeth and in the cuts on the surface.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. The side touching the tava should brown while the top side should start to dry.
- Flip the thalipeeth over to cook the other side.
- Drizzle a little oil along the edges of the pancake and in the cuts on the surface.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot with white butter or dahi/curd/yoghurt.
My Favourite Accompaniment
- Beat 1 cup of dahi or yogurt till smooth.
- Add 1 tsp of Green Chilli Pickle and some salt to it.
- Mix well.
- Serve with hot Thalipeeth.