Bangala Dumpa Mudda Koora or Bangala Dumpa ‘Upma’ Koora as it is called in my home is a simple potato curry that is different from the usual potato fry. I love it for its simplicity and its power to comfort.
The ‘Upma Koora’ tag is because this curry has a ‘popu’/’vagar’/seasoning similar to that of upma and looks a bit like upma too.
- Potato (medium-sized) – 4
- Onion (medium-sized) – 1 (optional)
- Grated Ginger – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Udad Dal – 1 tsp
- Chana Dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 6 to 8
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Salt to Taste
- Boil, peel, and mash the potatoes.
- Chop the onion to fine pieces.
- In a kadai, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add udad dal and chana dal.
- Fry till golden brown.
- Add the chopped onions.
- Fry till the onion pieces turn transparent.
- Add the slit green chillies, curry leaves, and grated ginger.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add the mashed potato and mix well.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice, curd rice, or rotis.
- Bangala Dumpa Vepudu – Potato Fry (aahaaramonline.com)
- Potato Curry for Masala Dosa… Also for Roti and Puri (aahaaramonline.com)
- Alu Rasdar (aahaaramonline.com)