In Andhra Pradesh, we have many variations of Majjiga Pulusu (Mor Khuzambu). This is a variation that uses Chukka Koora/Green Sorrel/Khatta Bhaji/Ambat Chukka, a tangy green leafy vegetable that becomes soft as butter when cooked. I love this variation of the Majjiga Pulusu because the Chukka Koora adds an extra tangy edge that is simply wonderful on a cold winter day.
- Curd – 1.5 Cups
- Water – 1.5 Cups
- Chukka Koora – 1 Packed Cup Finely Chopped Leaves
- Bottle Gourd/Lauki/Anapakaya – 1/2 Cup of 1″ cubes
- Chaaru Podi – 1 tsp (Alternatively 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds)
- Senaga Pindi/Besan/Gram Flour – 1 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 3 or 4
- Turmeric – A Big Pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Add Chukka Koora and Anapakaya to two separate bowls.
- Add just enough water to cover them.
- Pressure cook for two whistles.
- Blend the curd and water together to get a smooth buttermilk.
- Make a smooth paste with senaga pindi and 2 tbsp water. Ensure there are no lumps.
- Add the senaga pindi paste to the butter milk and mix well.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry for about 10 seconds.
- Add the split red chillies, chaaru podi, turmeric, and fry for about 5 seconds.
- Add the cooked Chukka Koora and Anapakaya, along with the water.
- Turn the heat to low and slowly pour in the buttermilk mix while stirring constantly.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Serve hot with rice.
- If the pulusu looks a bit pale in the beginning, do not add more turmeric. The colour of the turmeric kicks in only after the majjiga pulusu comes to a boil.
- Have this pulusu as a side-dish to have with patholi and rice or then to kandi pappu pachadi-annam or kandi podi-annam or nuvvulu podi-annam.
- Majjiga Pulusu with Coconut or Mor Khuzambu with Coconut (aahaaramonline.com)
- Majjiga Pulusu without Coconut or Mor Khuzambu without Coconut (aahaaramonline.com)
- Menthi Majjiga (aahaaramonline.com)