I love instant pickles because then I do not have to wait for the pickling. Today I present a super simple instant mango pickle from North India called Kacche Aam ka Hing Wala Achar. The double bonus for me here was the flavour of hing or asafoetida, a spice that I absolutely love, and the fact that this is a no-oil pickle.
In summer, we make so many pickles at home but for even the first taste I have to wait at least 2 weeks; and that is sheer torture. 🙁 So I am a great fan of instant mango pickles like Ava Baddalu, Menthi Baddalu, and Mammidikaya Mukkalu. These keep me going while I wait for my Avakai and Magai to pickle properly.
If you like the flavour of hing, try my recipe for Hinga Chutney | Coconut and Asafoetida Chutney.
If you are like me, you will absolutely enjoy this instant Kacche Aam ka Hing Wala Achar.
Before I forget: Thank you, Balasaheb Ardhapurkar, for recommending this pickle to me. 🙂
Recipe for Kacche Aam ka Hing Wala Achar | Instant No Oil Mango and Asafoetida Pickle
Kacche Aam ka Hing Wala Achar | Instant No Oil Mango and Asafoetida Pickle
- 1 Large Raw Mango, Kairi, Kaccha Aam (~150 Gms after chopping)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric, Haldi
- 1 tsp Lal Mirch, Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida, Hing
- Salt to Taste
- Peel and chop the mango into wedges about 1/2" thick and 2" long.
- In a bowl, mix together the mango pieces, red chill powder, turmeric, asafoetida, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Cover and set aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Serve as a side to Dal-Rice.
Method to Make Kacche Aam ka Hing Wala Achar | Instant No Oil Mango and Asafoetida Pickle
- If required, wash the mango, and dry thoroughly. I would wipe it clean and then leave it to air-dry for 1 hour.
- Peel the mango and cut it into long and slightly thick pieces. I cut them into 1″ long pieces about 1/2″ thick.
- Mix together the mango pieces, red chill powder, turmeric, asafoetida, and salt.
- Set aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Store in an air-tight jar. If all ingredients were bone dry, this pickle lasts some weeks.