I have two variations of the basic Majjiga Pulusu that I make; one with coconut and one without. This is the variation without the coconut.
You can make it with a mix of vegetables (bendakaya/bhindi/okra, vankaya/baingain/aubergines, mullakaada/shenga/drumstick, anapakaya/lauki/bottle gourd) or then with greens.
- Curd – 1.5 Cups
- Water – 1.5 Cups
- Mixed Vegetables – 1 Cup (okra, bottle gourd, aubergine, drumstick and similar vegetables. They should be cut into 1″ cubes)
- Chaaru Podi – 1 tsp (Alternatively 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds)
- Besan/Green Gram Flour – 2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 3
- Turmeric – A Big Pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Blend the curd and water together to get a smooth buttermilk.
- Blend the besan with 3 tbsp water into a smooth paste.
- Ensure there are no lumps.
- Add the besan paste to the buttermilk and blend well.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry for about 10 seconds.
- Add the split red chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry for about 5 seconds.
- Add the vegetables.
- Fry for 5-7 minutes.
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables.
- Cook covered till the vegetables are done.
- Stir occasionally and add more water, if required.
- When the vegetables are cooked, slowly pour in the buttermilk mix while stirring constantly.
- Add the salt and turmeric. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Serve hot with rice.
- If the pulusu looks a bit pale in the beginning, do not add more turmeric. The colour of the turmeric kicks in only after the majjiga pulusu comes to a boil.
- The reason I do not add the turmeric to any paste while grinding it is because cleaning the blender/mixer is a pain. 🙂
- You could also pressure cook the vegetables and add it to the kadi. In this case, omit steps 10 to 14. Just add the vegetables to the buttermilk mix.
Have this pulusu as a side-dish to have with patholi and rice or then to kandi pappu pachadi-annam or kandi podi-annam or nuvvulu podi-annam.
- Menthi Majjiga (Spiced Buttermilk with Fenugreek Seeds) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Kandi Pappu Pachadi (Tuvar Dal Chutney/Pigeon Pea Chutney) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Mukkala Pulusu (aahaaramonline.com)
- Chaaru Podi – 1 (Andhra Rasam Podi) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Majjiga Pulusu – 1 (Buttermilk Stew/Andhra Kadhi) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Kadhi Pakoda (aahaaramonline.com)
- Sol Kadhi or Kokum Kadhi (aahaaramonline.com)