Sree Rama Navami is the birthday of Lord Rama and the culmination of the 10-day Vasanta Navratri (Chaitra Navratri) that begins with Ugadi, the New Year for Andhras, Kannadigas, and Maharashtrians.
This festival is towards the start of summer in South India and as a result temperatures are quite on the uptick. The easy-to-make Panakam has great cooling effect on the body and you will find it being served on various occasions throughout the summer as a refreshing cooling drink.
I first posted this recipe in April 2013 and have updated it today with better photos and a recipe card.
How to Make Panakam
- 3 Cups Water (750 ml)
- 1/2 Cup Grated Jaggery (60 gms)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sonti/Chukku/Dry Ginger Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Dissolve jaggery in water.
- Strain the liquid and discard the residue.
- Add pepper, cardamom, dry ginger powder, and lemon juice (if you are using it) to the jaggery water.
- Mix well.
- Serve Panakam at room temperature.