Are you craving for something hot and spicy? Schezwan Fried Rice is the perfect one dish meal that can satisfy such a craving in a jiffy. It is also very easy to make and needs very few ingredients. I made this batch with homemade Schezwan Sauce but you could use store bought sauce as well.
This spicy rice dish stars on the menu of every restaurant that serves Indo-Chinese food. Because Schezwan Fried Rice is so spicy, it needs no other accompaniment, which makes it the perfect one-dish meal.
This recipe is for Rama, my niece, and Aparna, my friend; both of whom who loooooooooooove Schezwan Fried Rice!
How to Make Schezwan Fried Rice
- Long Grained Rice – 1 Cup
- Cabbage – 100 gms
- Carrot – 1 Medium Sized
- Spring Onions – 2
- Schezwan Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Sesame Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Pressure cook the rice with 2 Cups water till just done.
- Chop the cabbage into thin, long strips.
- Peel and chop the carrots into juliennes.
- Chop the spring onion bulbs into quarters.
- Chop the spring onion greens into 1/4″ pieces.
- In a wok, heat the oil.
- Add the quartered spring onions and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the spring onion greens and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the schezwan sauce and salt.
- Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Serve Schezwan Fried Rice warm and by itself.
- Add the spring onion greens at the very end and do not fry them too much or they will wilt, and may become bitter.
- Schezwan Sauce (Sichuan Sauce) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Vegetarian Chinese Fried Rice or Vegetable Fried Rice (aahaaramonline.com)
- Vegetable Manchurian (aahaaramonline.com)
- Cantonese Vegetables, The Indo-Chinese Way (aahaaramonline.com)