Vankaya-Bangala Dumpa Mudda Koora is a very simple and delicious bhaji that can be had both with rice and rotis.
I make many versions of this koora and here is the simplest version.
You will often find this koora being served at Andhra weddings!
- Vankaya/Aubergine (Large) – 1/4 Kg
- Potato – 1 Large
- Chillies – 3 or 4
- Rai/Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Udad Dal – 1 tsp
- Chana Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Curry Leaves – A few
- Cut the aubergine into about 1.5″ cubes.
- Peel and dice potatoes into 1″ cubes.
- Pressure cook potatoes and aubergine together with enough water to cover the vegetables for about two whistles.
- Drain the excess water.
- Lightly mash the vegetables with a heavy ladle.
- In a kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and chana dal.
- Fry till golden brown.
- Add spilt red chillies and fry for 5 secs.
- Add the mashed vegetables, turmeric, salt, and curry leaves.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.
If you have access to Gummidikaya Vadiyalu, fry a few and add to the koora.
- Vankaya Perugu Pachadi (Brinjal/Eggplant and Curd Chutney) (aahaaramonline.com)