It is that time of the year when we bid fond farewell to Summer and along with it goodies like Mangoes, and welcome the rains.
Till a decade ago, Monsoons would arrive on or about June 13. This date is very significant as it also signalled the day on which Mumbai schools reopened after the summer vacations. Predictions of the exact date of arrival of monsoon would abound in newspapers, the most significant of which was by MRF, the tyre maker. As kids, we used to eagerly follow the MRF Rain Day predictions in newspapers. You see we wanted a few sunny days to catch up with friends after vacations. 🙂
Now-a-days, predicting the arrival of monsoons (something that always had only a passing acquaintance with accuracy) has become a very risky business. The changing weather patterns mean that some years monsoons arrive well into July while this year it came two whole weeks early!
Not that I am complaining; it was a welcome relief from the sweltering heat. But I do miss the mangoes. 🙁
This year I bid adieu to the summer with this delicious smoothie.
- Happus or Alphonso Mangoes – 2 Large
- Yoghurt – 2 Cups
- Sugar – 1 tbsp (Optional)
- Water – 1 Cup
- Peel the mangoes and scoop out the pulp.
- Set aside 1 tbsp bit of the mango pulp.
- Blend the yoghurt, mango pulp, sugar, and water to a smooth liquid.
- Serve chilled garnished with a little mango pulp.
- Mango Milkshake (aahaaramonline.com)
- Banana Mango Smoothie – A Recipe of Two Fruits In Harmony (bestfruitsmoothies.com)
- Mango Pineapple Almond Yogurt Smoothie (chicorganicmama.com)
- Best mango smoothie ever! (lifeinnevis.wordpress.com)
- Mango Melody (femmehavenn.wordpress.com)