Mumbai has gone from a cold 10°C to a scorching 40°C in just two weeks! The result is that most of us are scurrying for shade (if not ACed indoors) and permanently looking for something cool to drink.
My all-time favourite cooler is Majjiga or Chaas; aka buttermilk in English. I can have buttermilk in any of the many forms it is available in India; as plain chaas or then with chaas with lemon juice (Nimmakaya Majjiga) or then as masala chaas whose recipe is give below.
How to Make Masala Chaas or Spiced Buttermilk
- Dahi, Perugu, or Yoghurt – 2 Cups
- Water – 1 Cup
- Cumin Seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Green Chilli – 1 large
- Grated Ginger – 1 tsp
- Black Salt (preferred) or Plain Salt – To Taste
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 tsp
- In a ladle or wok, roast the cumin seeds for about 5 mins.
- Keep a few seeds of roasted cumin aside.
- Chop the green chilli into fine pieces.
- Pound the green chilli, cumin seeds, and ginger into a paste.
- Blend the yogurt, water, salt, and the spice paste together.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and a few roasted cumin seeds.
- Serve chilled.