Palak or Spinach is one of the most easily available greens and I try to make as many different dishes with it as I can.
This version of pappu or dal is something I learnt from one of our Tamil neighbours (Mrs. Balakrishnan) and is a great favourite with my family. I love it because this dal is spicy and I can have it just by itself as a soup as well.
I make this dal with green gram (pesara pappu or moong dal). However, you could make it with pigeon pea (kandi pappu or tuvar dal) as well. I prefer pesara pappu because it is lighter on the stomach.
- Chopped Spinach Leaves – 3 Cups
- Moong Dal – 1 Cup
- Green Chillies – 2
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Udad Dal – 1 tsp
- Chana Dal – 1 tsp
- Pepper Corns – 8 to 10
- Coriander Seeds/Saboot Dhania – 1 tbsp
- Grated Fresh Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 2 or 3
- Oil – 1 tsp
- For Masala:
- In a kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add udad dal and chana dal.
- Fry the dals till they are light brown.
- Add the red chillies and pepper corns.
- Fry for 5-7 secs.
- Add coriander seeds and fry for about 10 secs.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- When the ingredients are cool, grind to a smooth paste with smooth water.
- Pressure cook the green chillies, chopped spinach, and moong dal with 2 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- When the dal is cooked, mix well with a heavy ladle to mash the dal to a pulp.
- In a heavy-bottomed vessel, heat the ghee.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they sputter.
- Add the asafoetida and fry for 2 secs.
- Add the mashed spinach dal, ground masala, turmeric, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add water, if required, to form a thick dal of pouring consistency.
- Serve well with hot rice and ghee.
- Menthi Koora Pappu (Methi Dal/Lentils with Fresh Fenugreek) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Gongura Pappu (Dal with Gongura/Ambada/Sorrel) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Bengali Toasted Moong Dal with Spinach (Bhaja Moong Palak) (tastespace.wordpress.com)
- Mammidikaya Pappu (Dal with Raw Mango) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Paala Koora Pappu (Lentils with Spinach & Tomato, Palak ki Dal) (aahaaramonline.com)
- Pesara Pappu Kattu (aahaaramonline.com)
- Spinach tamarind dal (Andhra style pappu) (coffeetimeconversations.wordpress.com)
- Spinach and Dal Fry – Spinach and Lentil Fry (desipalate.wordpress.com)