Beerakaya (called Ridge Gourd in English and Turai in Hindi) is one of my favourite vegetables. It is so soft, tender, and absolutely delicious. Apart from making Beerakaya Koora, we use the peel of to make a delicious Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi.
The peel of the ridge gourd is rich in nutrients and also fibre. As a result, this Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney is a great way of using the peel that would otherwise be discarded.
Also called Beerakaya Pottu Pachadi, in Andhra Pradesh it is also is normally savoured with rice. The way we love to eat it in Andhra is to mix it with hot steamed rice and sesame oil/ghee.
How to Make Andhra Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi | Chutney with Ridge Gourd Peel
Andhra Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi is a delicious Chutney made with Ridge Gourd Peel. It is typically eaten with hot rice but is also an excellent accompaniment for dosas and idlis.
- 1 Cup Chopped Ridge Gourd Peel
- 2 tbsp Udad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 2 Flakes Tamarind
- 3-4 Spicy Red Chillies
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Little Water
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Red Chillies
Peel the ridge gourd and chop the ridge gourd peel to small pieces. Use the ridge gourd to make Beerakaya Kura.
Heat 2 tbsp oil.
Add the udad dal and stir-fry till it is golden brown.
Add the red chillies and stir-fry for a few seconds.
Add the chopped ridge gourd peel and stir-fry till the edges start to turn brown.
Turn off the heat.
Add salt, turmeric and tamarind.
Mix well and let cool.
Using a little water, grind the fried ingredients to a smooth paste. The
Transfer the Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi into a bowl.
Heat 1 tsp oil.
Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
Add the split red chillies and stir-fry for a few seconds.
Add the tempering to the Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi and mix well.
Serve as a side-dish to Idli or Dosa.
Mix with some hot rice and sesame oil, and enjoy one mouthful at a time.
- Choose tender ridge gourd as the peel will then not be too tough.
- Be sure to add enough red chillies as that is the only spice in this Beerakaya Pottu Pachadi.
A Step-by-Step Recipe for Andhra Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi
- Wash and dry the beerakaya.
- Peel the beerakaya and set the peeled beerakaya aside to make Beerakaya Koora.
- Chop the peel to small pieces so that it fries well.
- In a kadai/wok, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Add udad dal and fry till the dal turns light brown.
- Add spilt red chillies and fry for a minute.
- Add the chopped peel.
- Fry over medium heat till the peel starts to turn brown at the edges.
- Add the tumeric, salt and tamarind. Mix well.
- Set aside to cool.
- Grind the fried peel, fried udad dal, turmeric, and tamarind to a coarse paste along with a little water.
- Take the pachadi into a bowl.
- In a ladle, heat 1 tsp of oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the red chilli and fry for a minute.
- Add the oil, mustard seeds, and red chilli to the pachadi.
- Mix well.
- Serve with hot rice and ghee.