This simple Beerakaya Kura (Andhra Style Ridge Gourd Curry | Turai Bhaji) is very easy to make and light on the stomach. It is one of my favourites and I can eat any quantities of it, JLT. 🙂
Don’t be fooled by the quantity of Beerakaya used because it reduces to a very small quantity eventually. 🙁
Do not discard the peel of the Beerakaya; you can make an excellent chutney called Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi with the peel.
How to Make Beerakaya Kura
- Beerakaya, Ridge Gourd, or Turai – 1 Kg
- Udad Dal or Split Black Gram – 1 tsp
- Chana Dal or Bengal Gram – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 3 or 4
- Nuvvula Podi – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Peel the Beerakaya and dice into 1″ cubes.
- Set the peel aside to make beerakaya pachadi.
- In a kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and chana dal.
- Fry till the dals are golden brown.
- Add the split red chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add the cubed beerakaya pieces and mix well.
- Saute uncovered for about 3-4 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Cook covered for about 10-15 minutes, while mixing every 4-5 minutes.
- When the beerakaya is cooked, turn off the heat.
- Add Nuvvula Podi.
- Serve the Beerakaya Kura hot with rotis or rice.
- Choose tender ridge gourd.
- After you add the salt, some water will drain from the beerakaya. Cook till the water evapourates.
This is an excellent curry for young children as it is packed with nutrients. Made without the nuvvula podi, it is light on the stomach, mild, and easily digested. It is also, of course, a great diet food recipe. 🙂