Here is an easy to make beetroot curry, where the garlic and chillies offset the sweet taste of the beetroot. It tastes awesome with hot rotis or just by itself. 🙂
- Beetroot – 1/4 Kg
- Onion – 1
- Garlic Cloves – 3
- Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Rice Flour – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1 pinch
- Green Chillies – 2 or 3
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Peel and dice the beetroot into 1/2″ cubes.
- Chop the onion finely.
- In a kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the slit green chillies and fry for 3-5 seconds.
- Add the curry leaves and fry for 3-5 seconds.
- Add the onion and fry till it turns translucent.
- Add the beetroot pieces and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and let the beetroot cook.
- Stir at regular intervals and add more water, if required.
- Grind the coconut, rice flour and garlic together to a smooth paste.
- After the beetroot is cooked, add the turmeric and coconut-garlic paste.
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with rotis.
- Ensure that all water added to cook the beetroot evaporates.
- The beetroot is cooked if you can cut the pieces with a spoon. Ensure that the beetroot is not overcooked.
- The rice flour is there to soak up any water that might be there in the koora.