I first ate this bhaji when I was in 2nd year engineering, when a dear friend got it for lunch. I find this version very useful when I do not have enough Bendakaya to make koora for all of us or have unexpected guests whom I have to accommodate.
- Bendakaya, Okra, or Lady Finger – 1/2 kg
- Potato – 1 Large
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash and dry the Bendakaya.
- Cut the ends of the Bendakaya.
- Cut the Bendakaya into 1/4″ pieces.
- Peel and dice the potato into 1/2″ pieces.
- In a kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add the potato pieces and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the Bendakaya pieces.
- Stir fry till the Bendakaya pieces are fried.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, and chilli powder.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
- You could also add coriander powder or amchur powder to the bhaji.