This is oh-so-easy-to-make Cabbage Koora (known as Cabbage Poriyal in Tamil Nadu and Cabbage Thoran in Kerala) is comfort food in our home. When perfectly done, the cabbage is crisp yet perfectly cooked.
Eat this curry as a side dish to perugu annam (curd rice) or sambar rice. You will be in heaven! 🙂
How to Make Cabbage Thoran | Muttaikose Poriyal | Cabbage Kura | Patta Gobi Sabzi
- Cabbage/Gobi – 1/2 Kg
- Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Udad Dal/Husked Black Gram – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies – 2 or 3
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Finely chop the cabbage.
- In a kadai/wok, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add slit green chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry for 3-5 seconds.
- Add the cabbage.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 a cup of water.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook over medium heat till the cabbage is cooked.
- Stir at regular intervals and sprinkle more water, if required.
- When the cabbage is cooked, add the salt and mix well.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Serve with rice or chapatis.
- The cabbage is cooked when it gets a translucent look.
- Sprinkle more water if you feel the need.
- Do not add too much water as then you will have a mushy koora. 🙁
Leave a Reply