I really like chikkudikaya in all its forms. This Chikkudikaya Kura made with Indian Broad Beans is a particular favourite of mine.
- Chikkudikaya/Indian Broad Beans – 1/2 Kg
- Udad Dal – 1.5 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chillies – 3 or 4
- Curry Leaves – 6 to 8
- Nuvvula Podi – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric – A Large Pinch
- Tamarind Pulp – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 3/4 tbsp
- Wash and dry the chikkudikaya.
- Break off the end of each chikkudikaya and pull along the edge of the chikkudikaya to remove the stringy part along the edge.
- Open up chikkudikaya pod and separate the beans from the pod.
- Chop up the pods into 1″ pieces.
- Boil about 1.5 litres of water.
- Add turmeric and tamarind pulp.
- Add the beans and the pod pieces.
- Add the salt.
- Over medium, cook covered for about 10 mins and cook till the beans are just par boiled.
- Drain the water completely from the beans.
- In a wok/kadai, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Add the udad dal and fry till golden brown.
- Add split red chillies and curry leaves, and fry for a minute.
- Add the beans and mix well.
- Cook for about 5 mins.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add nuvvula podi and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or chapatis.