Last Saturday was Narayan’s birthday! The only thing I can say about Narayan is that he looooooovvvvveeeeeessssss chocolate. 🙂 And all he asked for as a gift was a “chocolatey chocolate cake”, and so I made one! And used a chocolate buttercream frosting.
Without much ado, here is the recipe.
Ingredients for a 9″ Chocolate Cake
- All-purpose Flour or Maida – 1 Cup
- Corn Flour – 1/4 Cup
- Cocoa Powder – 1/3 Cup
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Yoghurt – 1/2 Cup
- Water – 1/8 Cup
- Unsalted Butter – 1/2 Cup
- Granulated Sugar – 1 and 1/3 Cups
- Eggs – 3
Method to Make the Chocolate Cake
- Butter a 9″ round cake pan.
- Dust the pan with 1 tbsp flour and shake out the excess.
- Preheat oven to 170 ºC.
- Sieve together all the dry ingredients: flour, cornflour, baking powder,baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yoghurt and water into a smooth liquid.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Break one egg at a time into the butter-sugar mix and mix well.
- Gradually add all the dry ingredients to the egg, butter, sugar mix.
- Mix well with a light hand till.
- Add the thinned yoghurt and mix well.
- Pour into the buttered and floured tin.
- Bake for about 34 to 40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for about an hour.
- Use a butter knife or a spatula to loosen the edges of the cake.
- Overturn the cake on to a plate and tap the pan gently to take the cake out of the pan.
- If you are using salted butter, use only 1/4 tsp salt.
Ingredients for a Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting
Unsalted Butter – 1 Cup
- Confectioner’s Sugar or Icing Sugar – 3.5 Cups
- Vanilla Essence – 1.5 tsp
- Milk – 3 tbsp
Method to Make Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting
- Add the cocoa and vanilla to butter.
- Using a whisk, mix well.
- To the butter-cocoa mix, add the sugar gradually and mix well.
- At the very end, add the milk and mix well till the icing is soft and fluffy.
- Cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate till you are ready to use the icing.
- 10 minutes before you want to frost the cake, remove the buttercream from the refrigerator.
To Assemble the Cake
- Ensure that the cake is at room temperature.
- Using a sharp knife, slice off the domed top of the cake to get a flat surface.
- Coat the top and sides of the cake liberally with the chocolate buttercream.
- Refrigerate the cake till you want to eat it.
- Take the cake out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you want to eat it.