This past week, my feet and ankles started swelling because of water retention and so I fell back on this tried-and-tested home remedy of Coriander Seeds Water (Coriander Seed Tea) that helps in reducing body heat and water retention.
As with many Indian homes, traditional home remedies is what I first use as a remedy to minor ailments or discomforts. I also try to make these a part of my routine so as to keep healthy. This Coriander Seeds Water is one such remedy that is a part of my everyday life.
Coriander Seeds or Sabut Dhania are nutrient-rich and help in:
- aiding digestion and combating stomach ailments
- regulating blood sugar and cholestrol
- improving skin and hair
- improving kidney function
- reducing body heat
- reducing water retention
- aiding weight-loss
All you need to make this Coriander Seed Tea is to steep some coriander seeds (sabut dhania) in warm water for a couple of hours (or overnight) and then drink it in small batches over the next 2 hours. So what I do is add 2 tbsp of the seeds in 1 litre of lukewarm water.
Alternatively, you can also steeps the seeds in boiling water for 15 to 30 minutes and then drink the water.
On days that are very hot, I may make two batches of this water. When I am at work, I use a green tea steeper to make this water.
In hot weather, do not keep the seeds soaked in water for very long (more than 4 hours) because the water turns sour or even rancid. What I do is soak the seeds in water as soon as I get up and then use it after 2 to 3 hours.
Recipe for Coriander Seeds Water
Coriander Seeds Water | Coriander Seed Tea
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds, Sabut Dhania
- 1 Litre Water
- Heat the water till it is just lukewarm and take off the heat.
- Add the coriander seeds to the water and let them steep for at least 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, use clean hands to crush the seeds a bit and let the crushed seeds sit in the water for 10 minutes.
- Use a tea strainer to strain the seeds from the water.
- Drink the water over 2 hours.
- Bring the water to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Immediately add the coriander seeds to the hot water and let them steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain the water and discard the seeds.
- Drink the water over the next 2 hours.