I absolutely love Cream Cheese and Mushrooms; so you can imagine my delight at the thought of Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms. Before I start on the recipe, let me tell you how I discovered Cream Cheese.
I first discovered Cream Cheese when I went to US and Canada in 1999.
In those days, you had only one brand of cheese available in India, a processed cheese from Amul, which came in large round tins. Most of the other cheeses I had tasted were those got by Amma, and assorted friends and family when they were back from their “foreign trips”; but most of them were “solid” varieties of cheese like Cheddar, Mozzarella, or Blue Cheese.
So Cream Cheese or Philadelphia Cream Cheese, to be precise, was a revelation! I think I lived off Bagels and Cream Cheese for breakfast for almost a week. 🙂
When I first bought a tub of Cream Cheese, it came with this recipe for Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms and then I was in heaven. Mushrooms and Cream Cheese together!!!! I tried the recipe immediately and it has been a favourite ever since.
The other day, I was out shopping for staples when Britannia Cream Cheese caught my eye. I had just bought mushrooms, and needless to say, I could picture luscious stuffed mushrooms. I bought the cream cheese post haste and the rest as they say lies in the recipe.
How to Make Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Mushrooms – 12
- Cream Cheese – 100 gms
- Onion – 1 Large
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Olive Oil – 2.5 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Oil a baking tray with about 3/4 tbsp olive oil.
- Clean 10 mushrooms with a soft cloth or tissue.
- Gently break off the stems.
- Oil the outside of the mushrooms generously with olive oil.
- Set the mushrooms aside.
- Select a few tender mushroom stems and chop them to fine pieces.
- Chop the 2 remaining mushrooms to fine pieces.
- Peel and chop the onion to fine pieces.
- In a wok/kadhai, heat 1 tbsp Olive Oil.
- Add the onion pieces and fry till transparent.
- Add the mushroom and mushroom stem pieces.
- Stir-fry till tender.
- Turn off the heat.
- Wait till the onion-mushroom mix cools completely.
- Add the cream cheese and pepper to the onion-mushroom mix.
- Mix well.
- Add salt, if required.
- Mix well.
- Spoon the cream cheese mix into the hollowed out mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms on the oiled baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 165°C.
- Bake the stuffed mushrooms for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave the mushrooms in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- You can dip the stuffed mushrooms in breadcrumbs to add an extra touch of crunch! I use garlic flavoured bread crumbs. 🙂