I have already posted one version of Palak Paneer on the blog. As I mentioned earlier, I am not too fond of this dish. As a result, I kept looking for different ways to make Palak Paneer and after some trial and error have settled on this creamy version that uses cashews and boiled onions as a base.
How to Make Creamy Palak Paneer
Serves: 4 to 6
Time: 60 Minutes
- Paneer or Cottage Cheese – 250 gms
- Fresh Palak or Spinach – 2 Large Bunches
- Tomato – 2 Large
- Onion – 1 Large
- Whole Cashews – 10
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Garam Masala Powder – 3/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee or Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
Method to Make Creamy Palak Paneer
- The Preparations:
- Soak the cashews in warm water for at least 15 minutes.
- Chop the tomato to fine pieces.
- To Make the Onion Paste:
- Peel and chop the onion into quarters.
- Boil the onion pieces in 1 cup water till transparent.
- Drain the water.
- Grind the soaked cashews and onion to a smooth paste.
- Set aside.
- To Prepare the Spinach Puree:
- Wash and clean the spinach leaves and set aside. Discard the stems.
- Boil about 5 cups of water with 1 tsp salt.
- When the water starts boiling, turn off the heat.
- Immediately add the spinach leaves and green chillies to the boiling water.
- Cover and set aside for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drain the water and immediately add cold water.
- Set aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the water completely.
- Grind the spinach and green chillies to a fine paste.
- Set aside.
- To Prepare the Paneer:
- Cut the paneer into 1″ cubes.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp ghee/oil.
- Add the paneer pieces and sauté till they start to turn light brown.
- Take the paneer pieces out of the pan and set aside.
- To Make the Palak Paneer:
- To the pan in which the paneer was fried, add the remaining ghee/oil.
- Add the chopped tomato and sauté for 5 minutes or till the tomato pieces are soft.
- Add the onion and cashew paste.
- Stir-fry for 5 to 7 minutes or till the oil leaves the sides.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and garam malasa powder.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the paneer pieces and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach purée and about 1/3 cup water.
- Mix well with a gentle hand and let the mix simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook till the spinach purée forms a thick gravy.
- Serve hot with rotis.
Leave a Reply