This recipe for Green Papaya Avial Kootan makes its way to the blog courtesy my colleague, Srividya K. Another colleague got Paccha Papaya Thoran for lunch and the conversation turned to the uses of unripe Papaya. Srividya mentioned making Avial with it and so here I come with the recipe.
I have already posted the recipe for the traditional Kerala Avial which is made with a mix of vegetables.
As I had never cooked with unripe Papaya ever before, I was a tad bit apprehensive about how this Paccha Papaya Avial would turn out. My fears, as it were, were unfounded and the Avial was just delicious with a mild flavour of the Papaya.
The success of this venture has also given me the impetus to try the Green Papaya Thoran soon. 🙂
How to Make Green Papaya Avial Kootan | Paccha Papaya Avial
Kerala Green Papaya Avial Kootan | Paccha Papaya Avial
- 250 Gms Green Papaya
- 1/3 Cup Grated Coconut
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Thick Curd
- Curry Leaves, A Few
- Salt to Taste
- Grind the grated coconut, green chillies and cumin with just a little water to form a coarse paste.
- Set aside.
- Peel the papaya and cut into 4 pieces.
- Discard any seeds.
- Scrape off the white layer on the inside.
- Cut into 1" cubes.
- Add the Papaya pieces about 1/2 litre water, salt and turmeric.
- Cook covered till the Papaya is transparent and just done. If you cut with a knife, it should be firm but go through the piece.
- If there is excess water, drain it out.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Add the curry leaves, coconut paste and coconut oil to the cooked papaya pieces.
- Mix well.
- Add the dahi and salt (if required) to the Avial.
- Mix well.
- Add just a little water, if the Avial is dry.
- Cook over low flame for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and cover.
- Let the Green Papaya Avial Kootan rest for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with hot steamed rice!