Winter brings with it an assortment of vegetables that are otherwise not available. One of the vegetables I look forward to in this season is Fresh Green Garlic or Hara Lehsun. I use it to flavour every savoury dish I find. I love the aroma that green garlic imparts to dishes; it is garlicky yet not overpoweringly so. During winters you will always find Green Garlic in my refrigerator.
Yesterday, I made my first batch of Hare Lehsun ki Dal for this winter. It was mildly garlicky and a much mellow version of Lasooni Dal.
If you want more winter specials, here are a few recipes:
- Undhiyu – A wonderful medley of winter vegetables cooked in a coriander-green garlic paste from the western Indian state of Gujarat.
- Sarson da Saag – The ever popular dish from the north Indian state of Punjab uses a whole lot of greens led by Mustard greens and is traditionally eaten with Makki di Roti.
- Sweet Potatoes in Jaggery Syrup – For some reason, this simple dish is always associated with winter in my mind.
How to Make Hare Lehsun ki Dal
Hare Lehsun ki Dal (Lentils with Fresh Green Garlic) - Winter Special
- 3/4 Cup Tuvar Dal
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Green Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Salt to Taste
The Preparations for Hare Lehsun ki Dal
- Chop the tomato to small pieces.
- Chop the hara lehsun or green garlic into fine pieces.
Method to Make Hare Lehsun ki Dal
- Wash and soak the tuvar dal in 2 cups water for 10 minutes. In winter, I use lukewarm water.
- Pressure cook the tuvar dal till it is well-cooked.
- Mash the dal and set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed vessel, heat the ghee.
- Add the cumin seeds and stir-fry till the cumin just starts to change colour.
- Add the split red chillies.
- Stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped green garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir-fry till the tomato pieces are well-stewed.
- Add the turmeric powder, salt and mashed dal.
- Mix well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.