It is that time of the year when Mumbai is on its path to melting tar and one is always looking ways to stay cool and hydrated. One my favourite appetizers (apart from Nimmkaya Majjiga) is Jal Jeera.
Jal Jeera literally means Water (Jal) with Cumin (Jeera). However, it is much more. Apart from cumin, it has mint, coriander, black salt, and lemon juice; all of which makes it a tangy drink. Jal Jeera is famous as an appetizer but is also a great cooling drink.
Some of the best Jal Jeera in Mumbai is served at, the restaurant at the ISKCON Temple in Mumbai. They also make the most fabulous Moong Dal Halwa, that ooooozzzzzzeeeeees ghee!
Time: 10 Minutes
- Chilled Water – 4 Cups
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1/4 cup
- Mint Leaves – 8-10
- Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp
- Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) – 1 tsp
- Black Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Boondi (Fried Gram Flour Balls) – 2 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Dry roast the cumin seeds till they start to change colour.
- Grind together the mint leaves, coriander leaves, and cumin seeds with 2-3 tbsp water into a smooth paste.
- Mix the ground paste, lemon juice, amchur, black salt, and regular salt into the chilled water.
- Divide into four glasses.
- Garnish with boondi.