Poha is a staple in my home and for some reason I love Poha and all that I can do with it. 🙂 I also love Coconut Milk and so when I heard of Kolache Pohe, I was super excited and wanted to try it immediately.
From my research shows, Kolache Pohe is a popular snack in the Konkan region of Maharashtra. When I read the recipe, I marveled at the tastes this dish incorporated: sour, sweet, and spicy complementing the cool Coconut Milk. To top it all it is a virtual no-cook recipe (except for the tadka). What more could one ask for.
I made it with the regular or Jada Poha which was readily available at home. You could also make it with Patal Pohe or thin Poha.
How to Make Kolache Pohe | Poha with Coconut Milk, Tamarind, and Jaggery
Kolache Pohe - Poha with Coconut Milk, Tamarind, and Jaggery
- 1 Cup Jada Poha - 1 Cup OR Patal Pohe - 1.5
- 2 Cups Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Grated Jaggery
- 3/4 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 2 Green Chillies
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Large Pinch Asafoetida or Hing
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Fresh Coriander - For Garnish
- Salt to Taste
- Dissolve some salt in 2 cups of water.
- Add the poha to the salt water.
- Let it soak for about 15 seconds.
- Using a colander, drain out all the water.
- Leave the poha in the colander for 30 minutes till all water drains out.
- You don't have to do anything. 🙂
- Chop the green chillies to fine pieces.
- Mix the salt, jaggery and tamarind pulp in coconut milk till the jaggery is dissolved.
- In a ladle, heat the ghee.
- Add the cumin seeds and chopped green chillies.
- Stir-fry till the cumin starts to change colour.
- Turn off the heat and add the asafoetida.
- Mix well.
- Add to the coconut milk.
- Mix well.
- In a deep dish, add 1/4 of the pohe.
- Pour 1/4 of the seasoned coconut milk on top of the pohe.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
Leave a Reply