Mammidi Allam Mukkalu! The very term makes my mouth water. Mammidi Allam (also known as Manga Inji or Mango Ginger) is a special type of ginger that has the aroma of raw mangoes.
The simplest way to enjoy it is to pickle it for a day or two in lemon juice with some green chilly pieces. The result is a tangy, spicy pachadi that is a phenomenal side dish for Majjiga Annam (Curd Rice/Thayir sadam) or Mudda Pappu Annam (Plain Boiled Tuvar Dal and Rice).
How to Make Mammidi Allam Mukkalu | Manga Inji | Mango Ginger Pieces
Andhra Mammidi Allam Mukkalu | Manga Inji
- 200 Gms Mammidi Allam or Manga Inji
- 6 to 8 Green Chillies
- 6 to 7 Lemons
- Salt to Taste
- Wash and peel the Mammidi Allam.
- Chop into small pieces. You could even julienne it.
- Chop the green chillies to fine pieces.
- Mix the chopped ginger, green chillies, and salt.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Store in a clean, dry glass or ceramic jar.
- Let it pickle for 2 or 3 days.
- Serve with curd rice, or with plain hot rice and a little sesame oil.
Leave a Reply